New York Therapy
Mental Health Therapy
Sometimes services beyond life coaching are necessary to improve mental health, such as mental health therapy. Mental health counseling is a medically-based service. Individual therapy with Dr. Blair is exclusively available to adult New York State residents and conducted via a secure, HIPAA compliant telehealth platform.
Dr. Supriya Blair is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist in New York. She holds a Doctorate of Psychology (PsyD), with a concentration in Child and Family studies, from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology. She is the founder of Dr. Blair Psychology, LLC. Dr. Blair has been in private practice since 2016, and running her own telehealth practice since 2020.
Areas of Expertise
Deciding whether to self-pay or use your health insurance for therapy?
It is becoming increasingly common for clients to self-pay for therapy. This is an individual choice. Consider the following benefits of self-pay, in terms of their importance to you:
- Increased Privacy. The only ones who know you are in therapy is you and your provider — not you, your provider, and your insurance company, including the various departments that coordinate your benefits, review your medical utilization, process your claims, etc.
- No diagnosis needed. In order to utilize your mental health benefits, your therapist will give you a mental health diagnosis. This is mandatory because your insurance company will need to know why they are paying for a service you are seeking.
- Flexibility. Only you and your provider collaborate on treatment length and frequency of sessions in order to serve you, the client, with transparency, integrity, and complete care.
- Energy exchange. Energy exchanges result when both parties give and receive (i.e., you give payment and receive care; your provider gives care and receives payment). This is a mutually respectful and beneficial process. Going through a separate payer disrupts this energy exchange because there is now a third party in the two-person therapy room.
- Empowerment. You get to choose which provider you want to work with, providing their scope of practice reflects your needs. You do not need to filter whom you choose based on complexities related to whether that provider has an agreed-upon contract with your specific insurance company, as well as what your specific agreed-upon contract is with your insurance company.