“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
This probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen Gandhiji’s wise words. This quote was painted across one of the halls in our graduate school building. It felt empowering when I read these words, walking to class or during a break between classes. In those moments, I felt as though my reason for being here was for a greater purpose: one that I didn’t quite know, and that I still continue to figure out along the way. Hey, aren’t we all?
I recently came back from a heartwarming vacation and had a few soul-to-souls that I will carry with me for a long time. These talks included subjects such as fear, love, change, trust, courage, detachment, expectations, surrender, and acceptance. Talk about spiritual boot camp!
As I’m coming to understand, we have “The World,” which we are all aware of, and each of us individually has a personal world; that personal world is unique to each individual, based on everything he or she has ever thought, said, done, felt, etc. Hence, my personal world is the product of my process, as is yours. The best way to make an impact on The World, is by changing our own personal world first: raising the quality and frequency of love we share, light we spread, and goodness we give.
A few additional musings about fear, love, and change I’ve had from my time away:
- My dearest teacher told me that the moment an expectation enters one’s life, that is the root cause of one being unhappy, sad, worried, etc.
- It’s not my job to manage other peoples’ opinions or behaviors.
- Love has no rules. Fear has unlimited rules.
- In the words of George Addair, “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”
- Before thought, there is love. In-between thoughts, there is love. In-between thought and action, there is love. Live in love.
- Everyone has his or her own journey in life. Do you, and do good without any expectations because the only thing we can control is our actions. The result is dependent upon additional factors. (For example, see #2).
- Fear is just an idea.
- We are a species that adapts to change and are constantly creating. Are you creating out of love or out of fear?
- The light bearers, or carriers of light, are the ones who change their inner world in order to bring about greater global transformation.
With all of this being said, what if The World is simply the result of all of our personal worlds put together? That’s how important you are…